Thursday, December 2, 2010

I'm baaaaaack

So sorry for the long break in posting - I have been busy laying on the beach and watching basketball in St. Thomas, cooking and eating lots of turkey, and studying corporate tax.  But now the trip is over, Thanksgiving is over, and classes are over, so I can get back to being a bizzy bookworm.  Here's a list of what I've read since I last posted:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  Obvi this was a re-read, but I had only read it once before and wanted to appreciate it one more time before the movie came out.  I definitely teared up at the end, but I didn't sob last time, probably because I was on an airplane and that would have been embarrassing.  Aaron is reading book 7 now and I can't wait to see his reaction.  JK Rowling is a genius, but I have to admit that I still get a little confused with all that wandlore stuff at the end.

2. The Pact by Jodi Picoult.  I know, Jodi Picoult is kind of below my normally high standards.  My Sister's Keeper was a really good book though, and I appreciate Jodi Picoult for her ability to pick timely, controversial and/or fascinating topics.  She is a machine though, it's ridiculous how many books she writes, so you can't expect all of them to be that great.  And I read this book on a plane and on the beach, which are the two places where it is most acceptable to read easy mindless stuff.  The Pact is about teen suicide and two families struggling to deal with the aftermath.  Kind of depressing and it jumps around a lot between character perspectives and chronologically, but it sucked me in and that flight was over before I knew it.

3. The World According to Garp by John Irving.  I think Until I Find You is still my favorite Irving novel, but I loved loved loved Garp.  No one can make you laugh and squirm and gag and cry at the same time like JI.  This book kind of made me jealous though, because I want to be a writer so badly, and here's John writing not only a great novel about a writer, but also writing that writer's stories within the novel.  He is almost disgustingly creative.  I just watched the movie version with Robin Williams as Garp and Glenn Close as Jenny last night, but of course it couldn't compare to the real thing and they changed the story way too much.

4. Bolt by Dick Francis.  Not my favorite from Francis, but was still a great plane read.

5. A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.  Unlike Oprah, I did not read this book during all the hype about it before it turned out to be fake, so I approached it as a novel and not an autobiography.  It's kind of hard to follow the dialogue because there are no quotation marks or anything, and the part at the dentist is seriously disturbing, but it was definitely an interesting book.  Leonard was my favorite character, I thought the James character was conceited and obnoxious.  Overall verdict - I'd rather watch Intervention.

Currently reading: The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

No comments:

Post a Comment